Like a Rock Star

Honestly, I don't remember my very first concert.  I'm pretty sure it was long after age 9 and it wasn't a popular teeny-bopper group.  Most likely, it was old school Country music.  Abby, on the other hand, enjoyed her very first concert experience last night.

Last week, I was lucky enough to receive a pair of tickets to the Victoria Justice and Big Time Rush concert for free!  We surprised Abby on Sunday afternoon and she was over the moon.  She had no idea what to expect.

We arrived in the parking lot around 6:20pm.  We were able to park really, really close to the gate.  Then, we hoofed it forever to the end of the line to wait to get in.  Abby was surprisingly patient and I think she was most interested in the people watching.  (People watching at Time Warner Cable Music Pavilion, regardless of the show, is extreme.  Trust me on this.)

The show started right as we got to the gate.  The opening act was Jackson Guthy, followed by Olivia Somerlyn.  Abby wasn't terribly impressed with the music, but she was really intrigued by the crew changing out everything in between.  Of course, she became much more interested as Victoria Justice took the stage.  Abby loved singing along, clapping to the beat and taking it all in.  After a few songs, Abby did ask me where Victoria's mom was.  Um, ???  Oddly, a few songs later, Victoria dedicated the next song to her mom... who was there in the audience.  Question answered.

With only a few Victoria songs left, Abby asked if we could leave after two songs from Big Time Rush.  Apparently, the music was too loud for her (she has really sensitive ears and I totally blame the countless ear infections and tube surgeries).  I told her that was fine.  By the end of the next song, she was ready to leave.  As we made our way out, I took her toward the lawn, just in case she wanted to stay and listen from farther away.  Nope, she wanted to go.  She wasn't comfortable until we were almost to the gate.  I felt really bad for her, but she didn't seem phased.  As we walked out, Victoria Justice finished her set and Abby said that was the only person she really wanted to see.  We both agreed that all her future concert experiences would probably require ear plugs and lawn seats.  And, I'm ok with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment