I want to be a Runner

It has been about 3 years since I tried running.  Tried and failed.  I'm seriously determined to succeed this time around.  Our church hosts an annual 5k each September, the North Hills 5k Run/Walk, which benefits North Raleigh Ministries, and I plan on running that 5k with Abby.

My last attempt at running was a mess, thanks to bronchitis and pneumonia.  Even though I got past the illnesses, I don't think my lungs were quite ready for running in the humid summer.  Yes, I know, it is July in NC which means humidity and lots of heat.  I'm ok with that, I think.

This morning was my first attempt and it went better than I expected.  Thankfully, Katie and Jeb didn't wake up early, so I was able to get out of the house for a 30 minute run and back home for a shower before either needed tending to.  I'm slow and I know that.  So, I don't expect to break speed records.  Ever.  I made it about 1.5 miles in 30 minutes.  Not bad for my first day.  Even better, I was able to breathe the entire time and didn't have any coughing fits.

As if running the 5k in September isn't enough of a goal, I have another goal.  I want to run the Krispy Kreme Challenge in February with Abby.  It is just short of 5 miles from the NC State Belltower to Krispy Kreme and back.  Technically, you must run half, eat a dozen donuts (not hot or fresh, usually a day old I think) and finish the run in less than 1 hour.  I think I'll be able to complete the run portion in less than an hour by February, but I just don't think I'm going to bother with the donut eating portion.  In fact, I've already been informed that our fan club (Mike, Katie, Jeb) would be happily waiting along the route to enjoy a few donuts.

I'm not setting any expectations for myself, beyond just training my body to run.  I don't care how far or fast I run.  I'm never going to run competitively and I'm just fine with that.  I figure if I can get comfortable with running, then I will have a regular go to exercise that I can do just about anywhere and it shouldn't cost me hundreds of dollars every few months.  That, itself, is priceless.

1 comment:

Sues said...

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Mmmm, I'd eat the KKs, too! ;-))

Post a Comment