In The News

In our house growing up, news was always a focal point.  As everyone was rushing around to get ready in the morning, the television would be tuned to the local news.  Same for the evening when dinner was being prepared.  And, the local newspaper was delivered each day.  As I grew older and current events became important in school, I was never at a loss for a current event to discuss in class.

As I became an adult, I continued to remain up-to-date on current events.  Before my most recent maternity leave with Jeb, I read at least 2 websites each day and often as many as 5.  I also watched the local and national news most mornings, evenings and nights.  Beyond wanting to be informed, I think this was mainly out of habit.  During the past four months, something change. I would literally go weeks without reading a news website.  And, many times, I couldn't even tell you what the weather would be on a given day because I didn't turn the news on that morning or I didn't pay attention to it when it was on.  (Thank goodness for apps on my iPad.)

Don't get me wrong.  I still think it is important to stay informed and be aware of current events, both locally, nationally and abroad.  But, I also think that our society has changed significantly in the past 15-20 years and the "news" that gets the most coverage is often the most horrific or sensational.  And, if I'm being totally honest, I think a lot of the stories that are reported in the news these days aren't really news at all...they're entertainment.

I must admit, I have felt less stress this week as I've returned to work and haven't had the television on during my morning routine.  It is a welcome change that I think I'm gonna make it a permanent change.

No comments:

Post a Comment