Siblings

Watching our children grow up, I'm reminded that I've never experienced life with a sibling.  Admittedly, I used to ask my parents for a brother or sister. A lot.  As a parent., I love watching the relationships develop, but I reserve the right to complain about the "she hit me," "he bit me," "she took my ___," in the years to come. 

Abby is old enough to understand being a big sister and she truly loves her brother and sister.  As a tween, she understandably has moments when she doesn't want to be bothered, but for the most part, she is awesome as a big sis.  Katie absolutely adores her and is always ready to head out for afternoon carpool to pick Abby up at school.  I'm pretty sure Jeb will be just as enamored with his biggest sis in the years to come.

Katie isn't old enough to fully understand the new family dynamics, but that hasn't stopped her from being a fabulous big sis.  Upon waking each morning, her first concern is to find her brother.  If she can't see him in our room, she asks where he is.  If his blanket, burp cloth or pacifier aren't with him, she finds them and brings them to him.  If he is crying, she shushes him and will try to pat him or his carseat when we're out.  If he is crying in the middle of the night and she hears it, she wakes up very upset and wants to be with him.  Finally, she loves to give him hugs and kisses.  When he's being changed downstairs, she strokes his head while he's laying there.  She also likes to carry his empty bottles into the kitchen to be washed and she's a fabulous diaper fetcher.

When Mike and I were first married, I knew I wanted to have three kids.  But, once we had Abby, I couldn't imagine how we would ever be able to do that financially.  Not to mention going through the waiting game again (it took us nearly 18 months to conceive Abby).  During a family vacation, I remember commenting about that to my sister-in-law.  In her genuine faithfulness, she told me that God would make His plan for a family clear to us in His time, whether that meant one child or more.  I knew she was right.  Looking back over the past 10 years or so, I can see how God's plan was slowly revealed (at least in parts).  Had the timing been ours, things wouldn't have worked out nearly as well as they have.  I'm so blessed to be where we are and thankful for where we have been.

1 comment:

Sues said...

Beautiful testimony!

Post a Comment