And Baby Boy Makes 5

I've totally been MIA the last few months of my pregnancy when it comes to blogging.  But, now that our "little" man has arrived, I plan on getting back in the habit.

Around 9 months ago, our doctors told us that our son was due to arrive on April 23, 2013.  Since he would be a planned c-section, I could deliver anytime after April 16 (when he was 39 weeks).  As we got closer, the c-section was scheduled for April 22 due to a lack of availability at the hospital.  On April 7, I started having contractions in the middle of the night and the baby hadn't moved the majority of the day.  I called the doc and she advised me to make my way to the hospital.  We dropped the girls off at my parents' house around 2:30am and headed to Rex.  After about 4 hours, IV fluids and crazy monitors, the doc was able to get my contractions to slow down and regulate.  She did have my c-section moved up from April 22 to April 18 because she was concerned about pre-term labor.  We headed home, with Mike commenting that he's be surprised if I made it another week :-)

I spent the entire week having contractions fairly regularly, but not often enough to be a concern.  I had my pre-op appointment with my OB that Friday.  Everything was a go for April 18.  The next day, I started having awful contractions around 8:30 in the morning.  I tried all kinds of things to get comfy, but it wasn't working. By mid-afternoon, they were getting worse and I decided to call the doc. Off to Rex we went again, but this time it was at least daylight outside.  I was at the hospital, being monitored, for about an hour before the doc stopped by.  At that point, I was having contractions every 2-3 minutes.  He said, "looks like we're having a baby tonight."  Within 2 hours, I received IV fluids, was prepped for the c-section, met with the anesthesiologist and delivered our "little" man. 

John Ernest Brooks Slawter (Jeb) was born at 6:53pm on April 13, 2013, weighing in at 11 pounds, 1 ounce and 21.5 inches long.  He was half a pound larger than his sister Katie and half an inch longer than both his sisters.  I can't imagine how much bigger he would have been if we had been able to hold off until April 18 or 22.

No comments:

Post a Comment