Whoa, Baby

Since I have had such tiny babies in the past (10 lbs 2 oz and 10 lbs 9 oz), every doc in my OB practice has suggested that I have an extra ultrasound around 28 weeks to measure growth and get an idea of where this little guy is going to weigh in upon his arrival.

At the past 2 appointment, I've been measuring nearly a month ahead, which I was kind of hoping just meant I was fat before getting pregnant and I've stayed fat while I'm pregnant.  Of course, the fact that I haven't really gained much weight doesn't really reinforce my theory, but a girl can hope, right?

Today, I had my extra ultrasound.  Thankfully, he was very cooperative, holding still for all his pics.  And guess what?  I may be a fat pregnant chick, but this baby boy is gonna be a whopper!  Based on the ultrasound, he's measuring between 3 and 4 weeks ahead and weighs about 3.5 lbs right now.  That is 97th percentile.  I think my mouth just dropped open when the doc told me.  Katie was only in the 40th percentile and estimated around 2.5 lbs at this point and she ended up being over 10.5 lbs.  He's a whole pound bigger?  Already?  Seriously? 

I'm still waiting for my glucose test results, but I didn't have gestational diabetes with the girls... just big babies.  The doc suspects this is just "standard" for me and she isn't too concerned about the diabetes.  She does want me to have another ultrasound in a month to check on baby boy's growth.  If I need to have extra ultrasounds, I'd rather have them for this reason than for something more alarming.  And, who am I to complain about extra baby pics?

1 comment:

Sues said...

Bless your heart! :-D

Post a Comment