Make Room for Baby (#3)

Abby is already a big sister.  Now, Katie will get to enjoy being a big sis and a little sis, all at the same time.  We are expecting our newest bundle of joy to arrive in April 2013, and we couldn’t be more excited!
Unlike my pregnancy with Katie, I was much more aware of things this time around, so it wasn’t a big surprise like Mother’s Day 2011.  Of course, as most women will tell you, every pregnancy is different and this one hasn’t disappointed in that regard.  Nausea is by far my biggest complaint.  There is rarely a waking moment that I don’t feel nauseous.  So much so that the doc gave me a scrip to try to combat that feeling.  As expected, I’m tired, but it doesn’t seem as “smack in the face,” “ohmigosh, it’s only 5 o’clock” tired, more “I could go for a nap right now, but I think I can make it.”  With Katie, my allergies seemed to take a vacation.  I can’t say that has happened this time around… I’ve been sneezing my head off since early September.  As for foods, the saltier and meatier, the better.  I could literally eat some form of red meat every day and not get bored.  (I’m not doing that, just sayin’)  After giving up caffeine (all forms) during my pregnancy with Katie, I had gradually reintroduced myself to Sweet Tea, Mountain Dew and chocolate (ok, maybe gradual isn’t the right word choice).  So, again, I’ve given these up, but it really hasn’t bothered me too much yet (give me a couple more months and the holidays and we’ll see if I’m singing the same tune).
Abby seems excited about having another sibling.  And, truth be told, I think she wants a brother.  Mike and I want a healthy baby, no gender preference (but secretly, I think he probably wants a boy this time too).  Obviously, Katie has no idea, but I’m curious to see how things change when the newest addition arrives, as Katie will be about 16 months old.  I sincerely hope that #3 adapts to a routine as quickly as Katie did…and hopefully it will be a similar routine.
Thankfully, we have a ton of baby stuff already, but it looks like we’ll need to get a double stroller (gasp!).  We’ve started looking at them and I’m just amazed at how large and bulky they are.  Yes, I know, it’s basically two strollers smashed into one, but sheesh.  And, a new crib will be needed too.  I’m so used to the crib we have now, I’m not sure how I feel about these “new, safe” cribs without a drop rail.  (I know, they are safer…but our crib has been through 5 children and none of them were ever injured by the drop rail or anything like that.  Sometimes, I think we are too safe and people stop using common sense.)
Thankfully, I will still be 34 when this baby arrives, so I’m not in that “high risk” group.  And, the doctor looked extra hard during the ultrasound to confirm there is only 1 baby in there (I was really paranoid about that this time around).  The little kumquat is measuring on target, so everything is great.
I feel so blessed that God has seen fit to allow us to raise another of His children.

No comments:

Post a Comment