Liebster Award

Susie, one of the sweetest people ever, was kind enough to nominate my blog for the Liebster Award over at CastleBlake.


The Rules of the Award: The Liebster Award is given to bloggers, by bloggers. It is a way to acknowledge each other and say, "You are doing a great job." It is for blogs with 200 or less followers, so it is also a great way to spread the word about smaller blogs and get them more readers and followers! When you receive the award you post eleven random facts about yourself, and answer eleven questions from the person who nominated you. You pass the award onto eleven other blogs, (make sure you let them know they were nominated,) and ask them eleven questions. You are not allowed to nominate the blog that nominated you.

First things first… 11 things about me (in no particular order):


1. I never valued having blonde hair growing up. I grew tired of dumb blonde jokes from an early age and tried countless times to “cover” my blonde with varying shades of brown or auburn, only to discover that my hair doesn’t hold color well. Now, after two kiddos, it seems that my hair decided to naturally dump the blonde (and I couldn’t be happier).

2. I never drank coffee until about 5 years ago when many of my good friends kept raving about Starbucks lattes and Frappuccino’s. I was a little hesitant, but after the first sip, I was hooked. I’m beside myself excited to enjoy my free birthday drink this week – a Venti Pumpkin Spice White Hot Chocolate. (Thank you, Mother Nature, for kicking the summer temps this week.) And, I still don’t drink straight coffee.

3. I hate putting away clean clothes and clean dishes. I don’t have much of an aversion to cleaning them, but once the dishwasher is done or the dryer stops, I’m a total procrastinator.

4. I was left off the list for graduation in high school. The morning everyone went to the gym for Baccalaureate practice, I went to find my seat (beside the same person that I’m always beside for the past four years). But, when I got there, I didn’t have a seat. Turns out, the teacher responsible for creating the master list for all things graduation that year (who had been my teacher in 9th grade English) totally left my name off the list. Needless to say, I didn’t bother purchasing any Senior items (t-shirt, coffee mugs, etc.).

5. I have a huge aversion to birds. I’m not specifically afraid of them, I just don’t particularly like them. This has proven most challenging when taking my children to a park or pond with geese and ducks who enjoy being fed, especially when it is up close and personal. I blame the Hitchcock movie!

6. I enjoy Fantasy Football (or did when I had the spare time to participate). It definitely makes Sundays in the fall more interesting when watching games and highlights to see how your players finished the day.

7. I’m a total Band Nerd and I’m not embarrassed to admit it. In high school, I was in the Marching Band all four years and still have fond memories of the experience. I played clarinet, front ensemble percussion and oboe. I’d love for Abby and Katie to have similar experiences as they get older. I’d really like to take Abby to Carolina Crown next year because she has a chance to participate in band at her school beginning next fall.

8. I go barefoot whenever possible. Even in the winter. I’m not a huge fan of shoes and prefer flip-flops or bare feet to just about anything else. I’ve been known to where flip-flops to go outside in the snow (briefly).

9. I never had braces and my teeth are relatively straight. It seems like nearly every one of my friends had braces at some point and I always felt left out. I’ll never understand why I wanted wire and brackets throughout my mouth as a teenager, but I’m hoping it is genetic and my girls won’t need them either. More accurately, my pocketbook is hoping that!

10. I’m the opposite of a hoarder. For the most part, I trash anything I don’t absolutely need. The rest of my family doesn’t seem to share this, but we’re working through this.

11. My absolute favorite book of all time is My Losing Season by Pat Conroy. By no means is this a chick-book or a beach read. The book focuses on Conroy’s final basketball season at the Citadel and has some really profound insight on the challenges we face in life.

And now for Susie’s questions:

1. What is the best vacation you've ever taken?

Our honeymoon. Nothing seemed to work out the way we had planned, but we still had a wonderful time. I can remember sitting in the parking lot of the Visitor’s Center of Colonial Williamsburg opening wedding presents in the backseat of our Toyota Corolla.


2. What is the most daring thing you've ever done?

In honor of transparency, I couldn’t think of anything. I had to ask my sweet hubby for a suggestion. He says, “remarrying your husband in the face of ridicule.” I never really thought of reconciling my marriage as daring and I honestly didn’t care what anyone else thought. It was between us and God, but I know we made the right decision.


3. What is something you wish you could do better?

Communicate with my eight-year-old (I can’t imagine what the teen years are going to be like).


4. What are your favorite food flavors?

Cheesy, creamy, sweet (together or separate)


5. What is your favorite dessert?

Crème Brulee from The Angus Barn


6. What is your favorite thing to actually cook?

Homemade Pumpkin Roll with extra cream cheese filling


7. What do you long for?

Less stress

8. How do you celebrate your favorite holiday?

Dressing the kiddos up and taking them to Fall Fest at our church.

9. When/how/why did you know your spouse was "the one"?

When he first kissed me, it literally took my breath away.


10. What is your favorite beverage?

Starbucks Pumpkin Spice White Hot Chocolate


11. What is one tradition your family had when you were growing up that you'd like to continue with your family?

Christmas Eve service at church. Although, it is slightly different now than when I was growing up. As Catholics, we attended midnight mass on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day. Now, as Baptists, we attend Christmas Eve service much earlier in the evening, but it is still just as wonderful.

And finally, I'd like to pass this award on to the following bloggers:
Mike at A Daddy of Two
Mary at One Perfect Mess
Jamie at The Beemer Birdnest
Leslie at The World According to Leslie

Don't forget to list 11 random facts about yourselves and answer the following 11 questions.  Then, bestow the award on anyone you see fit!

1. If you could have a superpower, what would it be?
2. If you could have been born in a different time period, when would you choose?
3. When was the last time you laughed at yourself?
4. What is one dream or goal that you have achieved?
5. Name your favorite restaurant.
6. What is your favorite meal at your favorite restaurant?
7. Are you named for anyone?
8. If you could travel to one location (alone or with family) and money were no object, where would you travel? 
9. What type of car do you drive?
10. Name a guilty pleasure.
11. What is your favorite time of day?



1 comment:

Sues said...

YAY!!! Thanks for taking the time to do this!!! I loooove reading your responses!

As big of a Starbucks addict as I am, I don't ever drink actual coffee, either. Pumpkin Spice White Hot Chocolate sounds like HEAVEN! I always get chai, but I might have to switch it up just once to try this!!!

Same re: the dishes & laundry - loading & running the machines = fine. Unloading & putting away = torture.

I didn't know you were left off the grad list!!! I didn't buy any senior crap, either. I couldn't get out of CHS and onto Davidson fast enough!!!!!!!!

HA re: birds! I hate monkeys.

Last year was our family's first time playing Fantasy Football with one joint team...and this year we have 3 family teams (1 parent, 1 for each kid) and JB has 2 more at work! :-D

I wasn't a band nerd, but I always felt like I was going to burst with pride when y'all played!!! :-) The fight song still makes me want to cheer.

I don't do flip flops (canNOT stand the toe separator!) but so with you on sandals over having close-toed shoes!

Holy mackerel, braces HURT! 3 years of hell... JB didn't have to get braces, either. Unfortunately, the kids got my horrific teeth.

I think it would be fun to open wedding presents on your honeymoon! My mom took all ours back to her house until we got back.

And I ABSOLUTELY think standing up for what you KNOW God is telling you to do is the most beautiful kind of daring!!! :-)

OK - re: cheesy/creamy/sweet - b/c you said "together" was an option: someone told me about their fave side dish the other day, and I about jumped out of my skin, b/c it sounded so amazing & "me" - macaroni & cheese with baked beans. :-P I seriously can't wait to try...

I'm always afraid to make a pumpkin or chocolate roll, b/c I'm scared I'll crack the cake & it'll fall apart. :-P

PS - If I could have any superpower, it would be to eat whatever I want and not gain weight.

Post a Comment