In Memoriam

Mike's Nannie passed away last Wednesday.  It wasn't unexpected, but it was still too soon for those of us left living.  My own grandparents passed away years ago, the last during my freshman year of high school, so Nannie was like a grandmother to me as well.

Margaret Snow was an amazing woman.  She survived and flourished through things I don't even want to imagine (the death of husband with two small children at home, cancer for both daughters, the death of her youngest daughter, the death of her second husband), not to mention the hundreds of other challenges she faced just like the rest of us, but with an unshakable faith in God and a remarkable determination to see the good in everyone and everything.  Even in her later years, she would still take time to play with her great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchild.

I still vividly recall visiting with Nannie just a short time after Mike and I had separated.  It was then that I told her about our marriage and I was so touched by her response... you guys will figure this out.  God knows what he's doing and he's just going to make you work a little harder before you get there.  I don't know of many people who would have given that sort of response to the woman who just asked their grandson for a separation/divorce.  But, Nannie wasn't just any woman.  She was an angel dressed in grandmother's clothing.

Even though my heart hurts that Nannie is no longer with us, I'm glad to know she is with the Lord, and enjoying all the beauties of heaven while looking down on her family and friends.  She isn't alone and neither are we.

I think the hardest part for me personally is knowing that Katie will never actually "know" Nannie.  Abby has plenty of happy memories at Nannie's house and spending time with Nannie.  Hopefully, they won't fade too quickly and she can share them with her little sister.

1 comment:

Sues said...

Prayers of comfort! What a blessing to have had her influence in your lives! :-)

Post a Comment