Banana Cookies

We purchased a few bananas too many during our last grocery shopping trip and by Sunday morning, I had 7 really ripe bananas.  The last few times this has happened, I've made some variation of banana muffins or banana bread.  This time, I was determined to make something different.

I stumbled on a recipe at Cathlin cooks and decided to improve it slightly (replace oil with applesauce).  Since the recipe calls for 3 bananas, I went ahead and doubled the recipe (bold for my first try, I know)...my seventh banana met the garbage can as Abby was trying to help peel them :-)


Banana Cookies
3 ripe bananas
2 ½ cups quick oats
¼ cup dried coconut (optional)
1 cup dried fruit (like cranberries, raisins, dates, chocolate chips, etc.)
Cinnamon to taste
Nutmeg to taste
6 tablespoons applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, mash the bananas.
3. Stir in oats, coconut, dried fruit, spices, applesauce, and vanilla.
4. Mix well, and allow to sit for 15 minutes.
5. Drop rounded spoonfuls onto parchment lined cookie sheet.  Use back or spoon or spatula to flatten cookies before baking.
6. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until lightly brown.
7. Allow to cool slightly and then remove cookies to cool completely on a wire rack.

Minor adjustments - I used Pumpkin Pie Spice instead of cinnamon and nutmeg (it's a combo of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and ginger).  I used a combination of raisins and chocolate chips for our cookies and they turned out quite tasty. 

The texture resembles granola bars.  I also love that there aren't any eggs in the recipe, so you can safely let your kids taste the "raw" batter.  The next time I make these, I may try to replace 2 tablespoons of the applesauce with peanut butter.

1 comment:

Sues said...

Oooooo! This sounds DIVINE!!!!! CAN'T WAIT to try!!!!!!!

Post a Comment