Pumpkin Granola Bars

A goal I have set for this year is for our entire family to eat healthier – more fruits and veggies and less processed foods.  We’ve been doing fairly well considering we have a newborn in the house :-).

My friend, Susie, posted a great recipe for homemade granola bars last year.  A few weeks ago, I decided to try her recipe and discovered that I loved it.  Super easy and versatile, how could you go wrong?  Over the weekend, I realized that I had frozen pumpkin from the holidays that I needed to use quickly.  I decided to tweak the basic granola recipe and use pumpkin instead of applesauce and they turned out wonderfully.  Admittedly, I’m a pumpkin girl and I’m happy to enjoy the flavor year round (which explains the 4 large cans of pumpkin in my pantry).

Here’s my tweaked recipe for pumpkin granola bars. 

Ingredients:
2 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup wheat germ
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
½ cup raisins
2/3 cup pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
½ cup honey
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Preheat over to 350.  Spray 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
2. In a large bowl, stir together oats, flour, brown sugar, wheat germ, salt, cinnamon, chocolate chips and raisins.  In a smaller bowl, thoroughly blend pumpkin, honey, egg and vanilla extract.  Add the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix until well combined.
3. Press evenly into prepared baking dish.  If you are having trouble spreading, cover with wax paper and press down with a cup or small bowl.
4. Bake for 20 minutes in preheated oven or until the edges are golden brown.  Cool completely before turning out onto a cutting board and cutting into bars.

When I make granola bars, I double the recipe and bake in a jelly roll pan.  That makes plenty of bars for everyone to enjoy throughout the week.

1 comment:

Sues said...

AHHHH! Freaking-out-excited over the pumpkin!!! YESYESYES!!!!!!!! CANNOT WAIT to try!!!!!!!!!!!

Post a Comment