Time and Testimony

For whatever reason, time seems to be set to slow these past few weeks.  Maybe it's my impatience to find out the gender of the baby, or just the fact that my first and second appointments with the doctor are 6 weeks apart.  Maybe it's this miserably hot weather (I know it could be worse, but I'm not a summer person anyway).  Regardless, time does seem to be going rather slowly in the recent weeks.  I certainly hope it speeds up (at least a little bit) or December will never seem to get here.

I've been on a reading hiatus until this month.  I go through periods of time when devour book after book, then I'll go through a spell when I don't read for weeks at a time.  I was able to borrow the newest Sookie Stackhouse book and read it within a day or two.  As with all herbooks, I wasn't ready for it to end and I can't wait for the next novel.  Being without any library books around the house, I decided to pick up a book that was discarded by my sister-in-law during one of her recent yard sales.  I had no idea what the book, Testimony by Anita Shreve, was about.  I'd never read any of her other books so there were no expectations or preconceived notions.  Although I'm not quite finished with the book, I can honestly say reading it is like watching a train wreck in slow motion and being frustrated and angry at many of the characters.  The style of writing is different than what I typically read, but the topic is gut-wrenching, especially as a parent.  That being said, I'd expect myself to just get fed up and walk away from the book.  But, the story sucks you in and you feel compelled to see it to the end, no matter how awful or repulsive.  That's not to say that it's a bad book.  On the contrary, I think the writing is excellent and the style makes the book very realistic and hard to put down.  But, it also makes me want to be an incredibly protective mother (even more so than I am already).

No comments:

Post a Comment