A Sick Day

Over the weekend, Abby complained of a sore throat off and on. She didn’t have a fever, so I tended to lean toward drainage (from all the head congestion) and constantly reminded her to blow her nose. I dropped her off at school on Monday morning after being awakened at 1am, 2:30am and 4am. She complained that she couldn’t sleep because her throat hurt. I’m sure I sound like a terrible mom when I type this, but I was at my wits end. We had tried Tylenol and decongestant, throat drops and cold water, but nothing was working. I drove to Walgreens (by the way, 4am is the time to go…no lines) and picked up Chloraseptic. Once back at home, I squirted the medicine on Abby’s throat. She said it made it stop hurting but that she didn’t want to go back to sleep. Really? Because I could certainly use more sleep.


When I dropped Abby off at school, I promised I’d make a doctor’s appointment for the afternoon. After being at work for about an hour, I got a call from the before school counselor… Abby had an accident and needed a change of clothes. This was a red flag for me. Abby hasn’t had that kind of accident at school since pre-school. So, off to school I went and the princess and I spent the day together at home.

She fought rest for a while, but finally conked out on the couch and slept for nearly 4 hours. I had to wake her up so we could make the late afternoon doctor’s appointment. After waiting nearly an hour at the doctor (constantly paranoid about all the germs in the pediatrician’s office), we were informed Abby didn’t have strep (YAY!) and likely had a virus that was going around. The doc prescribed warm tea with honey before bed and sleeping with her head elevated. That seemed to do the trick last night and Abby felt much better this morning.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

I'm glad that seemed to help some. Did you call your doc to see what you need to do to prevent getting sick?

Post a Comment