Birthday Weekend

Abby is getting to be such a big girl (*sniff, sniff*).  This year, we gave her two options for birthday celebrations... a party with friends or a family trip to the beach.  She chose the beach trip.  I have to admit, I was really surprised.

Her birthday weekend did not disappoint.  We headed out on Friday afternoon and enjoyed typical I-40 traffic through Johnston County.  What's not to love, right?  We stopped for dinner along the way and Bojo (the beagle) stretched his short stubby legs too.  I think he was a little jealous of our dinner (Smithfield's Chicken and Barbecue), but he was placated with a hushpuppy (oh, the irony).

We enjoyed staying at a friend's condo in Carolina Beach.  I love the location, but I am always reminded at how out of shape I am because the condo is on the third floor...so after lugging things up three flights of stairs, you realize the appeal of a ranch-style home.  The view is amazing and I love the sounds of the ocean (can't stand the water and I'm not a big fan of sand because it always ends up in places it shouldn't be, but I love the look, sound and smell).

Saturday morning, we headed to Myrtle Beach because Abby loves Broadway at the Beach.  She loves to shop, ride the rides, eat the food.  Pretty much, it's a win-win for her.  She had money burning a hole in her pocket, so she was ready to hit Build-A-Bear as soon as we stepped out of the car.  Of course, the money in her pocket was hers and she opted not to buy anything at BAB (shocking...because she LOVES BAB).

She did end up spending the vast majority of her money.  I think she returned home with about $3.  The most impressive purchase, at least in my opinion, was a Tervis Tumbler with lid.  They have a Tervis store...nothing but Tervis, every shape and size you can imagine.  And, every possible design.  A.MAZ.ING.  I could have easily dropped a couple hundred dollars in that store.  Of all the cute, girly designs (flowers, butterflies, pink/purple A, etc.), Abby chose the beagle.  It looks almost exactly like Bojo (except Bojo has a little more meat on his bones).  Of course, the lid is pink :-)


We enjoyed lupper (late lunch, early supper) at Hard Rock Cafe.  I can remember when that restaurant was brand new.  Oooph.  I'm getting so old.

The weather was awesome on Sunday.  After getting the car loaded, we took a long walk along Carolina Beach.  Bojo even ventured out and realized it wasn't all that bad...of course, he was one tired pooch after all the running and walking.  I could have easily sat in a beach chair all day long and just enjoyed the relaxing beauty.

We took the loooooong way home - Ft. Fisher Ferry to Southport, then drove to Leland to say a quick Hi! to Grandpa (hidden agenda...Abby's birthday present from the g'rents) and then back through Wilmington on the way home.  Yeah, yeah...we were in the car about 6.5-7 hours, but it was worth it.  We all had a great time.

Now, if I could just win the lottery (buying a ticket would probably help), we could just buy a house at the beach (with fewer stairs, or maybe an elevator).  For now, I'll just savor the time we do get to spend there.

2 comments:

Sues said...

What a dream!!!! I adore her bday weekend!!!

LOVE her Tervis - Bonnie Blue has the same coloring!

Lupper is my favorite meal EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

The Fort Fisher ferry used to be our family fave when we beached on Oak Island. Such happy memories!

Jamie said...

I am jealous that you got to eat at Smithfields! That's the only thing I miss about Jacksonville...well, the ocean part too! Glad you had a great weekend! I guess I need to get on the "Tervis Train". Vic has one but I really don't "get it" maybe you two could enlighten me?

Post a Comment