Back in the Saddle

I know, I know...it's like I've fallen off the face of the earth.  I haven't blogged in *gasp* two whole weeks.  I knew it had been a while, but I didn't realize it had been that long.  I've really missed it, but I just haven't been able to find the time.  Plus, I've wanted to include pics and I just don't have everything together whenever I remember to blog.  Excuses, excuses.

Gymnast for a Day
Abby had one of the most wonderful opportunities over Valentine's Day weekend.  The NC State gymnastics team hosted her as the "Gymnast for a Day" at the Sweetheart Meet with Arizona and William & Mary.  She arrived at Reynolds around 4pm and was able to participate in everything with the girls leading up to the meet - warm-ups (vault, floor, beam, bars), snack (bagels and bananas), running out of the tunnel and being introduced with the team.  As the meet began, she sat with the team, gave high-fives and even participated in the awards ceremony at the end.  All of the girls were awesome with her.  She had a fabulous time.  One of the gymnasts even gave Abby her floral bouquet from placing in one of the events.  It really was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I'm super happy that Abby was able to experience it.

Abby as she finds out about being gymnast for a day


Watching the team vault

Taking a drink break... as I uploaded the photo, I found the humor in the NCFB logo placement (I work at NCFB).

After the meet

Teeth
When you become a parent, no one ever mentions teeth...and how eewwhh it can be as kids get older and start losing their baby teeth.  Prior to this past weekend, Abby had lost four teeth on the bottom.  For weeks, her two front teeth (on top) have been loose.  She would constanly wiggle, jiggle, twist, etc. It finally got to the point that her wiggling was making gross sounds.  At one point, she had the Nanny McPhee look going on.  Well, over the weekend, she lost both of her front teeth.  The tooth fairy didn't have change for a $5 on the first night, so she received $5.  Since the second tooth came out the next night, we figured the tooth fairy couldn't just leave $2 again... although a friend made a good argument... just tell her that the tooth fairy KNEW the next tooth would fall out the next day, so the $5 included an advance on the second tooth.

Now, Abby had a huge gap in her smile, but it looks so cute.  Unfortunately, those pics are on the camera (and at home), so I'll have to share those a little later.

The BIG City
This week, I'm out of town for work.  I left on Monday afternoon and I'm heading home this afternoon.  I miss Mike and Abby terribly...and after the first hour or so in my hotel room, I realized it was just too darn quiet. 

Our destination was Edenton, NC.  Once we arrived on Monday afternoon, we drove around the historic area and picked the houses we would like to live in.  The historic homes are truly gorgeous.  The water views are amazing.  From one vantage point, you could see a tree that appeared to be floating on the water.  Just beautiful. 

We've taken a food tour of the area...Kristy's Place, Waterman's, Montero's and Captain Bob's.  The most interesting food was fried goat cheese at Montero's.  So, as if I didn't already need to exercise, I definitely need to now.  And, for some reason, I had the silly thought that I would work-out while out of town.  You know, the treadmill at the hotel or going for a run outside.  Ha! 

My parents lived in Elizabeth City previously, so I was somewhat familiar with the area.  I knew the TV stations weren't local and were based in Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Hampton Roads.  Watching the news each morning, I was reminded of the following - 1) I prefer living where the news channel is based...it's annoying to watch the news and weather that really doesn't impact/affect your home.  Every so often, they would mention some NC towns.  2) No matter how bad traffic seems in the Triangle, it could be SO MUCH WORSE.  In the Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Hampton Roads area, there are a number of bridges and tunnels, as well as various highways and bypasses.  I kid you not - at 5:45 in the morning, the news was reporting back-ups beginning.  I don't mean slow, I mean stopped traffic (3 lanes).  And, from listening to the banter, it wasn't unusual.  UGH!  3) We need a Roses in Raleigh!  Edenton doesn't have a Wal-Mart, but they do have a Roses.  It brought back memories to walk through Roses.

And, for a little bit of extra excitement, wildfires have been burning across the road from the hotel during the week.  What an odd sight, especially when it's 40 degrees outside.

So, that's what has been going on in my little world.  I've missed blogging because it's like my own little [free] therapy.

1 comment:

Sues said...

OK, so how did Abby get picked for that gymnastics meet???

I loooove food tours, and fried goat cheese is one of my FAVES!

Re: non-local weather - YES! Our NBC here is local to Albany, but our ABC comes out of Jacksonville, FL. Please.

ROSES!!! I hadn't thought of Roses in ages, either!!! That was the only store of its kind by our old beach on Oak Island NC. Happiest memories!!!

AMEN on blogging = therapy! We won't have internet at our new house until next week still (I'm at Starbucks for this :-)) and it's killing me!

Post a Comment