Life and Death

This has been a week of true highs and lows. 

On Sunday, we celebrated Abby's baptism during church.  It was an awesome experience and I was really excited that all of her grandparents could be in attendance.  The pastor actually had to lift her from the steps because the water was almost too deep for her...tippy toes all the way!

Monday was a nice chillaxin' kind of day.  Abby spent the day at the Y (for the school holiday) and Mike enjoyed some couple time.  We did a little shopping and basically just hung out.  I could totally get used to that.

On Tuesday, I returned to work to find out some heartbreaking news.  A co-workers son, Ben, passed away on Sunday.  Ben was born prematurely in July 2010 and has been on a true roller-coaster at Duke ever since.  Although he was only on earth for a short period of time, he made a lasting impact on many lives.  Then, as Abby and I made our way downtown to pick Mike up from work, we were in a car accident.  It was very minor and I'm so thankful that no one was hurt.

Wednesday made me wonder if the week would ever end.  Seriously.  Work has been more stressful than usual as we prepare for statewide training of a system currently in pilot.  Abby was in a snit during the afternoon and evening which made GA's all that much more challenging.

Thursday felt like the longest day ever.  I've never been someone who liked to stand up in front of a room of people and talk.  Actually, it scares me to death.  Thursday was my chance to run through my portion of training at work.  I was very lucky to have a lot of support in the room and everyone tells me I did a great job.  Even with my doubts and fears, I made it through without any major blunders.  Thursday evening was the memorial service for Ben.  I brought tissues with me, but I should have probably brought more.  The service was beautiful...and I admire Jamie and Stephanie's strength as they spoke during the service.  Honestly, I'm not sure I could have done that if I were in their shoes.  As soon as I got home, I snuggled with my sleeping princess, tears streaming down my face (I'm even tearing up now just thinking about it).

Like I said, a week of highs and lows.  I'm thankful that God sees fit to let me experience each high, low and in between...otherwise, I wouldn't be aware of His blessings, grace and mercies.

1 comment:

Sues said...

Major prayers of grace & love!!!

Post a Comment