Politics, Politics

I know politics is one of those taboo topics among friends. And, if you don't consider it taboo, you may end up without any friends :-)

From time to time, I make reference to my views on certain politic themes on my blog. But, in general, I don't do a lot of political blogging.

Here goes...my dad was Republican, is Republican and will always be a Republican. I didn't realize until I was an adult that my mom wasn't. Honestly, I don't know if she was at one time and gravitated in the other direction. I never really talked politics with my mom. Those conversations were reserved for "daddy-daughter" time.

In high school, I was a member of the Young Republicans. I think a lot of that had to do with how I grew up and who my friends were. Many of us were raised in Republican households. And, of course, we grew up with Reagan in the White House.

When I arrived in Raleigh for college, I reconnected with a friend from high school who was active in area politics. This was at a time when Jesse Helms was running for re-election (for the um-teenth time). With her, I helped campaign for RAH (Republicans Against Helms). I still considered myself to be a Republican, but I found that I had very few things in common with Jesse Helms. Over time, I realized that I had very few things in common with my party's platform in general.

At some point, I changed my party affiliation to Democrat. I felt that my beliefs and values were more closely aligned with that party.

Fast forward nearly a decade. So many aspects of my life have changed. I've lived in the same city for almost 15 years. I'm a mother with a child in public schools. I've worked for the same company for over 10 years. I'm a member of a Baptist church. All of these, and many others, have helped shape and change my perspective.

All of that to say...I can't believe how frustrated and angry politics has made me in the past couple of years. I'm still a registered Democrat. And, I still agree with the Democratic party on certain things. But, I also find myself drawn to the "Republican mindset" in other areas. I'm sure that's true for most people, if they really sat down and tried to figure out where they stand, politically, on various issues.

I'm seriously considering changing my party affiliation. When I did that before, I didn't even think twice. This time, I'm really putting a lot of thought into it. It's not something I want to take lightly. Of course, recent happenings among the Democrats in Wake County really have me frustrated. It's disappointing that such a well-respected Commissioner would wait to resign his seat until it was too close to election day to allow for the seat to be filled in the next general election. I think the voters should have been given the opportunity to elect this position, instead of allowing the party to appoint someone to fill the seat until it expires.

There's no telling what I'll end up doing with my registration. Part of me thinks the party affiliation isn't that big a deal...since I NEVER vote straight ticket and I NEVER choose someone based solely on their party. If I don't agree with you, I don't care what party you associate with. And, there's always those people we vote for and realize months or years later - we made a huge mistake (I give you The Bev).

I continue to wonder what type of political views Abby will have as she grows up and becomes an adult. Mike and I agree, agree to disagree, and could care less (depending on the issue). Whatever her views, I just hope Abby learns that being part of the process is important and educating yourself along the way is even more important.

***Updated 9/16/2010***
Moderate is a good way to describe my views. Some people say, "Doesn't that make you an Independent?" Not sure why, but that doesn't really appeal to me either.

1 comment:

Sues said...

"Part of me thinks the party affiliation isn't that big a deal...since I NEVER vote straight ticket and I NEVER choose someone based solely on their party. If I don't agree with you, I don't care what party you associate with."
YES! This is 100% me. I'm a registered Democrat, too, which was hard growing up in the middle of the Red Sea ;-) but I'm truly about as moderate as you can get.

Post a Comment