Happy Birthday Dad & Orange Pound Cake

Yesterday, we celebrated the 43rd anniversary of my Dad's 20th birthday (you do the math). We enjoyed lunch at my parents' house and I baked a cake. Everyone loved the cake and I ended up baking one again last night because Mike and Abby wanted to have one at our house too.

It's funny. I can remember helping my mom bake cakes for my dad growing up. As I got older, I almost always made him a cake with Mandarin Oranges. He likes them a lot and it was always something special. Another thing my dad loves - easy pound cake...especially with you make it by adding a box of pudding to a regular cake mix. It's a lot easier than making a pound cake from scratch :-)

Orange Pound Cake
-1 box Duncan Hines* Classic White cake mix
-1 large can Del Monte Mandarin Oranges in light syrup
-3 eggs
-2 tbsp vegetable oil
-1/3 cup water
-1 small box vanilla instant pudding mix


1. Combine all of the ingredients (including the entire can of oranges with syrup) in a large mixing bowl. Mix with hand mixer until blended well.
2. Pour into well greased Bundt cake pan. Bake at 350 for 43-48 minutes.
3. Turn out onto cooling rack and allow cake to cool completely.
4. If desired, ice with cream cheese frosting (the next time I make this, I'll probably make the frosting from scatch...but I cheated this weekend and used prepared frosting).

*I used Duncan Hines cake mix both times this weekend. I'm sure this would work with other cake mixes, but the number of eggs, amount of water and amount of oil may differ depending on the other mixes.

No comments:

Post a Comment