Catching Up

Somehow, summer seems to have become busy...even though I was hoping for relaxing. I've been terrible about blogging in recent weeks and I'm hoping to correct that. Trust me, it's not for lack of thoughts, comments, opinions, material. It's more from lack of time, energy and initiative.

Abby's first two permanent teeth are coming in. Yep, right there in the middle on the bottom. Being a little larger than baby teeth, they are coming in at an angle. When I first realized that, I thought "please grow straight...please grow straight..." When Abby noticed, she immediately told me that she was going to need braces! I'm hoping she's wrong. Mike and I made it to adulthood without braces and we both have relatively straight teeth. Maybe it's genetic.

Abby will be vacationing next week at her grandparents' house (at the beach). Lucky duck. She's thrilled. Even better, she gets to vacation with three of her cousins (super bonus). For about two weeks, she's been stressing over 1) wearing pull-ups to bed at night and 2) not being able to tie her tennis shoes. She was worried her cousins might make fun of her because she still wears pull-ups to bed at night. We tried telling her not to worry about it, but I still think she's stressing over it. Honestly, I'm not too concerned. I'm sure grandma and grandpa would prefer pull-ups over changing the sheets. As for the tennis shoes, when I got home last night from coffee with friends, I was informed that Abby learned to tie her shoes...just like that. Mike showed her once (left-handed) and she was good to go. Of course, I tried to tie my shoes left-handed and it was a very slow process and not very neat. I guess showing Abby in Abby's way (left-handed) made all the difference.

Mike still isn't feeling well. That seems like an understatement, but TMI wouldn't be a good idea either. I'm so thankful for the emotional support from my friends and family. I'm amazed at how God works in our lives. I've had the opportunity to reconnect with a close friend from my past (I've literally known her longer than any other friends because we went to school together and moved to an entirely new school district at the same time) through our husband's health issues. It's funny how you remember people and think about them periodically, but rarely act on it. I'd thought of J many times over the years (especially when no one else seemed to be in contact with her) and it's awesome to be able to reconnect. Of course, it would be even nicer if we all lived in the same town/city.

Abby will be starting First Grade in 4 1/2 weeks. I'm already uber-impressed with her new school. We already have the school supply list and the schedule of special events for August and September. This is going to be a great school year, I can already tell. I did get a laugh out of Abby's school supply list. Some things never change - yellow pencils, kleenex, erasers, wide-ruled spiral notebooks...and some things make you feel really old - hand sanitizer, dry erase markers, clorox wipes, glue sticks. I don't even think some of those things existed when I was in the First Grade. And if they did...we certainly didn't use them at school.

1 comment:

Sues said...

Ha re: feeling old with the school supply list!
Super praise for finding genuine commiseration with an old BFF - it is SOOOO comforting!!! :-)
Will's bottom two teeth are coming in at an angle, as well, and I'm also freaking out about them being crooked! I had 3 hellish years in braces, although JB never had them. Eeek...

Post a Comment