Days 3 and 4

Saturday (Day 3)
When I got up on Saturday morning, I was sneezing my head off and feeling somewhat sluggish. I just couldn't bring myself to go for a run. I convinced myself that we'd head out to the Y at some point and I could just run on the treadmill (regardless of the weather). As the day wore on, I started feeling better, but we never made it out to the Y. By late afternoon, we'd seen a number of downpours, so I wasn't sure if I would be able to get my run in. During a break in the rain, I decided to chance it.

Abby begged (whined, pleaded) to go with me. I really, really wanted to run alone...just me and my iPod. But, I gave in and told her she could come with me. The rules - stay on the left side of the road, between me and the curb; watch the road, not me; mom can't talk when we're running; watch for cars in driveways.

Since Saturday was my last of week one, I figured it wouldn't be too bad. By the time we got started, there was a light rain, but nothing that would impair us. I decided to stick close to the house and just run around the block over and over - that way, if Abby got too tired (or started whining), I could just drop her off and keep going.

Abby was trooper. She made it the entire 30 minutes without complaining. She still talked incessantly, but I knew that would happen...and she understood that I couldn't respond. I did notice that it seemed to take a lot longer to get through the 30 minutes. I think that was because I didn't have my iPod to focus on.

The drill...
5 minute warm-up walk
1 minute run
1.5 minute walk
1 minute run
1.5 minute walk
1 minute run
1.5 minute walk
1 minute run
1.5 minute walk
1 minute run
1.5 minute walk
1 minute run
1.5 minute walk
1 minute run
1.5 minute walk
1 minute run
1.5 minute walk
5 minute cool-down walk

Monday (Day 4)
This morning was the start of week 2. The drill changes slightly...

5 minute warm-up walk
1.5 minute run
2 minute walk
1.5 minute run
2 minute walk
1.5 minute run
2 minute walk
1.5 minute run
2 minute walk
1.5 minute run
2 minute walk
1.5 minute run
5 minute cool-down walk

When I got outside, I felt a few raindrops, but decided that I needed to get my run in before work. I was shocked (seriously) when I ran the first 1.5 minutes and didn't even check my watch until exactly 90 seconds. Running last week, I had a tendency to check my watch at around 50 seconds most of the time...and I figured that wouldn't be any different this week. Throughout the entire run, I usually checked around the 75 second point and more. That really helped keep me motivated. I didn't get winded until nearly 20 minutes, which was an improvement over the 15 minutes during my first week of running.

2 more days of this before I move up to the next drill. I'm hoping for quiet weather on Wednesday and Friday morning :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment