Benadryl

As a child, I had an allergic reaction while on vacation. The pharmacist recommended Benadryl. I took it...and slept forever. It freaked my parents out.

Fast forward about 10-12 years - while in college, my allergies kicked in to high gear. My boyfriend/husband suggests taking a Benadryl. I think nothing of it. I wake up sleeping in my closet. (Stop laughing...it's not that funny!)

Fast forward another 10-12 years - my doctor prescribes antiobiotic for pneumonia. I take the antibiotic, like a good girl, for seven days without incident. Really, an accomplishment for me because I'm bad about finishing a course of medication. On day 9 (two days after finishing the medicine), I break out in horrible hives. Absolutely horrible! The doctor tells me to take Benadryl to help with the itching. *Technically*, I don't have an allergy to Benadryl, I'm just very sensitive to it. Ha. So, I've been taking a half-dose the past couple of days when I get home from work. Last night, I decided to go all out and take a full dose. Around 2:30am, I made a trip to the bathroom. A little after 3:15, I made it back to bed. What was I doing? Trying to walk into the bathtub! I finally woke myself up by bumping into the shower door and making it rattle.

Note to self - no more than a half dose of Benadryl. EVER.

2 comments:

Sues said...

Oh my gosh!!!!! HYSTERICAL!!!!!!!! (But awful, but hysterical, but awful...you know.) Does Abby have problems with it? Only now after having children does it make me sleepy - when I was little, it always made me HYPER!

mkmazanek said...

Oh my!!!! Glad you woke up!!! How's Mike doing? Sent him a message but have not heard back from him. Keeping you all in my thoughts!!

Post a Comment