Celebrating the Little Things

I was trying to figure out a title for my post...there didn't seem to be a theme. Once I had written everything, I realized, I was celebrating a lot for a little.

What I'm celebrating:
1) Abby was brave when she had her cavity filled.
2) Playing handbells at church
3) Mike is starting his second semester today in his own room
4) Going grocery shopping alone on Sunday
5) Sticking to my healthy goals for 1 week


Abby had a dentist appointment this morning for a cavity. She was quite nervous when we arrived. At her dentist, children go back alone...unless they have a terrible meltdown. So, when they called her name, Abby gave me a quick look and went alone. I was so proud of her. When they were done, I went back to get her. She did an excellent job and commented that it didn't even hurt. Of course, she earned a prize from the dentist for her good behavior. I had promised her something from Chick-fil-a for breakfast after the dentist. Since the right side of her mouth was numb, we decided a milkshake would be best...no chewing and no worries about her biting the inside of her mouth (and not being able to feel it).

Last night, I attended my first handbells practice. I was so excited. I have to admit, I was a little anxious at first. I haven't played an instrument since high school and I haven't touched handbells since I tagged along with Angela a few times (in high school) at her church. But, as we started sight reading the new songs for this season, I began to feel more comfortable. In my head, I thought, "I can do this." By the end of the hour, I was feeling much better. And, I was already looking forward to next Sunday. Now, there's no telling how I'll do when we have to play in front of the entire church on a Sunday morning (for both services). I tend to get really nervous when I have to get up in front of people. I don't like being the center of attention in a large group. But, I know that God will help me get through that too.

All in all, Sunday was a fabulous day. When I woke up early in the morning, I decided to be productive, rather than going back to sleep. So, I started boxing up the Christmas decorations. After church, we had lunch at Bear Rock Cafe. We haven't been there in a while and it was awesome to find out Abby's lunch was free - a special they run on Sundays. Then, Mike and Abby headed home while I went grocery shopping (alone). I absolutely love grocery shopping alone. I enjoy making a list and sticking to it. I like only going down the aisles I need something on and I like ignoring all the stuff that I don't need or want. I love spending time with my family, but I'm not sure I'll ever enjoy grocery shopping as a family. Anyway, I got it and out in around 30 minutes. It was great! Around the house, we got Mike's desk moved into the guest room so he can do his homework for this semester in peace and quiet. (The desk was in our bedroom last semester, which provided some additional challenges.) Bojo the dog has a new place for his house (crate) and he seems to be quite happy too.

On Saturday, Abby slept til nearly 9am. I think that had a lot to do with her ice skating until late Friday night (which she loved and she even skated a little on her own without holding onto a bucket). I wasn't complaining. Since I was wide awake by 7am, I decided to make use of the quiet time and I caught up on my Bible study. It was so nice to sit in my warm bed and read the Bible without any interruptions and without having to worry about the time. We didn't have anywhere to be, so I could leisurely read and really absorb what I was reading. A true blessing!

And, I almost forgot...I'm super-celebrating today because it's been a week since I started being healthier (eating, exercise, etc) and I lost 5.6 lbs! I was so shocked when I hopped on the scale this morning. I expected to lose, but I didn't expect to lose that much. Positive results are always motivating. I doubt I'll be able to keep that pace, but I'm thrilled.

1 comment:

Sues said...

These are AWESOME things to celebrate!!! Big & small - they all magnify the quality of life!!!

Post a Comment