A Day of Challenges

I reached over to hit the snooze button on my alarm clock at 5:18am (this was actually the 3rd time I was trying to hit snooze). Instead, I turned the alarm off...and awoke at 6:38am. I should have been leaving for work when I actually work up. After rushing around quickly to get showered, ready, and out the door, I made it to work about 45 minutes late. Not bad - oversleep by 1 hour, 40 minutes and only get to work 45 minutes late. I was glad that I wasn't any later AND that I didn't have any early morning meetings that I was missing.

The time at work went by quickly today because I left at 11:30am (more on that later). I felt surprisingly productive given the short amount of time I was actually there.

Why did I enjoy such a leisurely schedule? Mike had a procedure scheduled for this afternoon that requires a responsible adult to drive him home. He couldn't find any responsible adults, so he figured I'd do in a pinch (kidding, honey). The procedure went relatively well, with a few minor bumps. The doctor didn't find anything alarming (Praise God!), but he also didn't find a cause for Mike's symptoms. Mike will have a CT scan next. I'm super thankful that nothing alarming was found (because there's always lots of bad things that pop in your head when you hear "biopsies" and "pathology"). But (you knew there was going to be a but), I was really hoping (and praying) for some diagnosis. I know God is in control and I must wait for things to happen in His time, but I'm struggling with finding the good in all of this right now. I know this is taking a toll on Mike emotionally. It's tough being sick for weeks on end, trying all kinds of medications only to discover none of them work, and having a doctor tell you he's concerned but can't pinpoint the cause. I'm certain God's plan will be visible at some point and I need to keep reminding myself of that.

The next challenge was pint-sized and full of sass. Yep, Abby. She's having a really tough time at school. Specifically, keeping her mouth closed. In all honesty, I think she's extremely bored a good bit of the time. The teacher has even commented that most of her issues happen when she's sitting with other students at her table directing them or helping them with a task/assignment. I don't think she intends to be difficult (at least not all of the time), but we can't figure out how to impress upon her how really, really important it is to be quiet and follow directions at school. I continue to pray for wisdom and guidance as it related to Abby because she is a strong-willed, tender-hearted little girl. While I want her to obey, etc., I also don't want to break her spirit. It's a balancing act that I still haven't mastered. Honestly, there are days when I wonder if I ever will.

After dinner, I decided to do a little work while Abby snuggled in my bed. When I tried to access our network, an error popped up. I tried everything I knew and still got the error...I even restarted my computer, which I thought solved just about everything :-P But, no luck. So, the time I planned on working from home went out the window. The good news? I've already made my testing goal for the week, so anything else is just an added bonus. I'm super thankful for that.

Now, I'm off to read a little more of my Bible study...I really like reading through the Bible chronologically. It makes a lot of sense. Of course, there are time when I feel completely stupid because I've never read through the entire Bible before and there are things that I "discover" that I think must be obvious to so many other people. But, I try not to let those negative thoughts take over and I keep reminding myself that everyone has to start somewhere. I'm looking forward to looking back through my journal at the end of the year and seeing all the things I have learned.

Lord, thank you for another day...full of blessings and challenges. Without the challenges, I'd probably take even more of my blessings for granted.

2 comments:

jennynaree said...

I was just like Abby as a kid...don't worry I don't think my parents ever figured it out either. And, by the time you get to college all the things you got in trouble for in school will be considered positive. Just do the best you can and know that even though the teachers get frustrated with her...she is just fine!

I will be praying for you and Mike as well, I hope they are able to give you some answers soon!

Sues said...

Always praying for grace & answers for you & Mike!!!

I'm scared we'll have the same probs with Will & Sis when they start public school. I hope God shows you how to handle Abby, so you can better advise me!!!

Post a Comment