A New Year's Survey

I originally read this on my friend Susie's blog. I was inspired by her openess and honesty, I decided to try my hand at this New Year's survey.

1) What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?
Took Abby to summer camp, met Abby at the bus stop, learned all about carpool lines, pedicure

2) Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I had to look back to my blog post from Jan 2, 2009, to even remember my resolutions. (I guess that doesn't bode well, huh?) I wasn't successful in every resolution that I made, but I think I've made great strides in a couple of areas. Of course, I'll make a few for 2010...most likely a carryover from 2009.

3) Did anyone close to you give birth?
Bri and Melissa

4) Did anyone close to you die?
Not super close

5) What countries did you visit?
Sad to say, there was no international travel this year

6) What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
A sense of purpose...and a couple of good snow days (that will actually close work)

7) What date from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
January 20 - Obama's inauguration (and a snow day)
March 2 - Abby's birthday (and a snow day)
Seeing a pattern here?

8) What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Realizing that I need help sometimes and being able to more readily accept it

9) What was your biggest failure?
My temper/Jekyll & Hyde anger

10) Did you suffer illness or injury?
Thankfully, so. 2008 ended with pneumonia, but 2009 has been relatively calm for me on the health front.

11) What was the best thing you bought?
new phone with qwerty keyboard, fabulous Celtic calendar for 2010 (bought it back in September with a gift card from my birthday), an Equinox for Mike

12) Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Bojo - he's the best dog ever

13) Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Passive-aggressive attitudes, esp. rude digs through a smile. Recently, I wondered about insincere people...are they ever sincere and how do you know?

14) Where did most of your money go?
Bills...

15) What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Our trip to Washington, DC

16) What song will always remind you of 2009?
You Belong With Me from Taylor Swift and The Climb from Miley Cyrus...can you tell I have a 5-year-old diva in the making living in my house?

17) Compared to this time last year, are you:
- happier or sadder? happier
- thinner or fatter? fatter *it took me a moment to type that...but I felt honesty was best*
- richer or poorer? richer in faith

18) What do you wish you'd done more of?
showing mercy to Abby

19) What do you wish you'd done less of?
Yelling

20) How will you be spending New Year's?
quietly at home with Mike and Abby

21) Did you fall in love in 2009?
With reading...I found new authors and dove right in.

22) How many one-night stands?
None (ever)

23) What was your favorite TV program?
Army Wives, NCIS (the original...jury is still out on Los Angelos), House, Brothers & Sisters, The Mentalist, Merlin, Mad Men, CSI: Miami, Glee

24) Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I can't think of anyone that I actually hate. I'm not a fan of that word. But, there are people that I am much less fond of now than a year ago.

25) What was the best book you read?
That's tough. I read so many books in 2009. If I had to pick one, I'd say Love & Respect.

26) What was your greatest musical discovery?
iTunes gift cards - laugh if you must, but I had never used an iTunes gift card before 2009

27) What did you want and get?
a larger home, a new church home/family

28) What did you want and not get?
family peace

29) What was your favorite film of this year?
I have no idea. Honestly, I haven't seen that many current movies in 2009. We finally rented HP and the Half Blood Prince recently and it wasn't as good as I had hoped (that's always a possibility when you read the book first).

30) What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 31 and dinner with Mike and Abby at Kanki followed by fancy cupcakes.

31) What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
paying off all of our debt

32) How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
discount

33) What kept you sane?
Reading, blogging, trying new things, Mike

34) Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Lysa Terkeurst

35) What political issue stirred you the most?
Wake County School Board elections

36) Whom did you miss?
Friends

37) Who was the best new person you met?
women at church

38) Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009:
"I am not equipped to handle what they have, both good and bad." God gives us what we can handle...and you can't measure yourself or your situation against anyone else. "A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones." Proverbs14:30 (NIV)


39) Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
There’s always going to be another mountain
I’m always going to want to make it move
Always going to be an uphill battle,
Sometimes I'm going to have to lose,
Ain’t about how fast I get there,
Ain’t about what’s waiting on the other side
It’s the climb
from Miley Cyrus' The Climb

1 comment:

Sues said...

Oh, this is so awesome! I need to update mine, b/c January 20 - Obama's inauguration was a huge day for us, too. (The kids & I were addicted to election coverage.) And how could I forget my iPhone - my BFF - as a best purchase??? :-)

Post a Comment