Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli

I've looked at lots of recipes over the years for a chicken, broccoli and rice dish. I never really found one that was 'perfect' for us. So, I decided to come up with my one on my own.

Ingredients:
1 lb chicken breast (cubed)
EVOO
1/2 large onion (or 1 small onion) - coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic (chopped)
1 can cream of mushroom soup (I use the healthy version...lower sodium and fat)
1 can (cream of mushroom can) of skim milk
1.5 cups instant brown rice (white rice would work too...but it typically cooks faster)
2 cups broccoli (fresh or frozen that has been thawed/drained)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1. Heat EVOO in a large pan on medium-high heat. Add cubed chicken. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add chopped onion and garlic. Continue to cook for about 5 more minutes or until chicken is just cooked.
2. Add 1 can cream of mushroom and 1 can of skim milk. Stir until evenly mixed.
3. Add brown instant rice. The rice I use takes 20 minutes...so I let everything simmer for about 15 minutes. If you use rice that cooks faster, you won't need to simmer for as long.
4. About 5 minutes before the rice is cooked, add 2 cups of broccoli and stir. I almost always use frozen. I thaw it in the microwave for about 2 minutes...just enough to take the chill off and drain the liquid (melted ice).
5. Add 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and stir. I let everything simmer another 5 minutes or so, just enough to warm the broccoli through, melt the cheese and finish cooking the rice.

If you don't have any broccoli, or you just don't like it, you can substitute just about any vegetable in its place. Also, if you aren't a fan of mushrooms, cream of chicken, cream of celery, or cream of [insert flavor here] would work too.

We had this on Thursday night for dinner and Abby was hooked. She even asked for seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment