A Good Day, All Things Considered

I wasn't exactly sure how today would go. Abby tracked back into school after three weeks of "vacation." She was very excited about going back to school, but I was worried she may have gotten to used to the loud and rambunctious stuff she's been doing at the Y for three weeks. When I met her at the bus stop, I was greeted with the announcement that today was a green day. Woohoo! Green is good.

Work was, well, work. Nothing spectacular happened. Just more testing and more test case writing. The overall mood around the group wasn't upbeat. Many of us found out yesterday that a co-worker's youngest daughter passed away over the weekend. It was a complete shock for everyone. There are a lot of unanswered questions for the family and it's hard to know what to say. For now, all we can do is pray for their healing and understanding. Admittedly, I checked on Abby as she slept in her bed more often than usual last night and tonight.

A new dinner adventure turned out quite well tonight. My next dilemma is what we're having tomorrow night.

I still hadn't used my iTunes gift card from my birthday, so I decided to see what peaked my interest. Abby and I really like Love Story (Taylor Swift) and The Climb (Miley Cyrus). Then, I hit the jackpot, relatively speaking. I stumbled across Jagged Little Pill from Alanis Morrissette. Yeah, it's 14 years old, but I still remember every song from the album. Silly, I know. Since I have no idea where that CD ended up after college, I downloaded the entire album.

Listening to my "new" songs got me thinking. How many brain cells are devoted to all the music/lyrics from years past? I haven't heard the majority of these songs in 12 years. They weren't on the radio, yet I still remember the music and can sing most of the lyrics. Can you just imagine, what if you could commit things to memory just by putting them to music? And, what sort of things don't we remember because that part of our brain is already storing song lyrics? Scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment