Crock-Pot Mac & Cheese

I stumbled upon this recipe while searching for easy Crock-Pot recipes. To be honest, I was really skeptical the first time I made it...it just seemed too simple. But, I was totally surprised. It turned out awesome. Of course, I couldn't leave it at that...I had to tweak it a little.

So, here's my version of Crock-Pot Mac & Cheese...

-8 oz uncooked pasta (we usually use elbow, but any would work)
-4 cups milk (we use 1% or skim...anything with higher fat content would be creamier)
-1 egg
-2 cups shredded cheddar (we use 1 cup mild and 1 cup sharp)
-2 cups or 8oz other cheese (depending on what we have...combination of American, Colby, Monterrey Jack, Muenster...pretty much whatever you have)
-1 tsp dried mustard (it's ok if you don't have it...it will turn out fine)
-1/2 tsp black pepper
(We leave out the salt because the cheese has plenty.)

Directions:
1. Spray Crock-Pot well with cooking spray.
2. In a mixing bowl, whip egg and milk (suggest mixing egg into 1 cup of milk, then adding the remaining milk).
3. Add noodles. Stir.
4. Add cheese. Stir until evenly combined. The mixture will be very wet. That's perfect!
5. Pour mixture into crock. Cover.
6. Cook on high for 1-3 hours. You can stir once or twice if you'd like, but it isn't necessary. (Suggest monitoring the first time you cook. I know, this defeats the purpose of a Crock-Pot, but every crock is different and it would be a shame if yours cooks faster than mine and you have blackened mac & cheese when you return later on.) My crock cooks this recipe in about 2.5 hours. Also, cooking time will differ depending on the pasta used.
7. Once you serve, remove the crock or turn off the heat...or the leftovers will get overcooked (trust me).

Hope you enjoy!!!

**As an added bonus, you can also stir in 1lb of ground beef (seasoned to your liking, along with sauteed onions and garlic) near the end. If you do this, you'll need to add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup extra milk...to give all the beef a good cheesy coating. We tried this tonight for the first time and it was delicious. Abby even suggested that dinner made her throat and head feel better. I'm not sure I'd go that far, but it was rather tasty.**

1 comment:

mell said...

OOOOHhhh! Thanks for posting the recipe. ... and it's not even MY birthday anymore! :)))))

Post a Comment