Communication

No matter how you do it, you communicate everyday through words (verbal and written), facial expressions, body gestures, etc. Even if you don't mean to, you do. Knowing that communication is a vital part of living in our world, why can't school administrators provide open communication to parents?

If you read my blog, you know I have already expressed some of my opinions regarding the WCPSS. I realize it is a highly regarded school system and I appreciate that fact. However, I'm forced to question many of the policies set forth by the Wake County School Board as my daughter prepares to enter kindergarten.

Today's complaint is not at that level. Instead, it is much lower on the totem pole - the administration of the school. This morning, I got a wild urge to check the PTA website for Abby's school. Don't ask me why, I just felt a need. When I pulled up the calendar, I saw a note about Kindergarten Orientation scheduled for next Thursday (a week from yesterday). I was intrigued because this should include us, but we haven't received any information from the school concerning this particular event. Actually, we haven't received any official notification from the school concerning anything since we registered Abby.

I checked the school's website to obtain a little more information. To my surprise (or maybe not), I couldn't find a single thing about the event. I called the school office to ask for more information. I was told a postcard was sent out a few days ago and that children were welcome to attend with their parents.

Maybe I've subconsciously decided that I'm not going to like dealing with WCPSS. Maybe I'm just too much of a planner and nobody else would be bothered by the short notice. Maybe they had trouble getting the postcards printed and so on. But, it really annoys me that we are getting so little notice. Luckily, we don't have any other children or we would need to find childcare for a Thursday evening, less than a week away. It's also good that we get off work early enough to afford us enough time to eat prior to the 2 hour event. It still annoys me that the communication provided by the school is sub-par at best.

Of course, I'm torn. I can't decide whether I should politely complain or let it go. I don't want the administration to hold anything against Abby because her mom is anal. I also don't want to let it go and face continued communication failures throughout the school year and possibly miss something completely. Ah, the joys of parenting. If it's not one thing, it's another.

No comments:

Post a Comment