Wake County Schools - Not Family Friendly

I don't know if the School Board has been living under a rock or what, but they passed new schedules for the 2009-2010 school year during yesterday's board meeting. The new schedule adds 10 minutes to each instructional day and allows the students to be released 1 hour early every Wednesday (and 2.5 hours early on 6 Wednesdays throughout the year).

Uh, pardon me, but the economy sucks right now and many families are struggling to make ends meet. Now, you add a new wrinkle, requiring families to figure out how to meet the bus for elementary schools for a 2:45 release instead of 3:45. For many families, that will mean the additional expense of after-school care. For others, it will mean a reduction in work hours. And, for other children, they will be forced to go home to an empty house.

I have no idea what we will do. Unfortunately, many before and after school programs fill up quickly, requiring parents to register months in advance (like right now). The bus schedule hasn't been set (obviously) and we have to base everything on this year's schedule.

2 comments:

Leslie Jackson said...

Hey girl! I don't know about Wake Co, but I know that here in Cab. Co. you can register for before/after school and cancel later without a problem or charge. (They will have a waiting list if they fill up that quickly!) So I'd suggest registering then if it works out differently just cancel as soon as you know! I'm sure people do it all the time!

Lifetime Ticket Holder to the Cheap Seats of Life said...

I agree with you honey and it makes no sense for us to have after school for only one day a week. DUH. I am beginning to think that the city/y/county are all in cahoots together to make money!

Post a Comment