Taking Advantage

Have you ever been taken advantage of? I rarely notice when I am being taken advantage of (or taken for granted). Usually, a friend or loved one brings it to my attention (repeatedly) before I even notice.

Of course, I'm quick to notice when a friend or loved one if being taken advantage of by someone else. Silly. You'd think I'd notice it in my own little world too.

I never know how to handle that kind of situation. It's impossible to know the offenders intent. They may not realize they are taking advantage and would be devastated if you called them out (even privately). Other offenders would refuse to acknowledge the offense and just project everything back onto you. Still others would apologize but distance themselves from you because they feel uncomfortable going forward. And finally, some would be polite to your face but harbor negative feelings toward you and you'd never really know what they were thinking.

I usually dismiss the suggestion that someone is taking advantage of me, but when multiple people make the same observation over a long period of time, it's hard to ignore. Maybe I should remove the doormat and install something in it's place.

1 comment:

Lifetime Ticket Holder to the Cheap Seats of Life said...

OOH, OOH, instead of the doormat, how about a Doberman?

Post a Comment