Happy Birthday Abby

It's official. Abby is now 5 years old. It's hard to believe she's been in our lives for five years. It seems like only yesterday when we were visiting her in the NICU at Rex Hospital.

This morning was bittersweet for me. Because daycare was closed, Mike opted to stay home with Abby. I really didn't have a choice since I have no vacation time available at work and we were running normal schedule. I woke up quite early, snuck downstairs and wrapped Abby's gifts. As soon as I was finished, I stole a few pieces of her construction paper and made a card for her. I cut out flowers, stems and leaves, as well as the letters of her name. I hoped that would convey how special Abby is to me (us).

Because I had to leave a little early for the snow, Abby was still sleeping when I left for work. I was wiping away tears as I kissed her goodbye and headed to work. Shortly after 7am, I received a phone call...from a very excited little girl! She was ecstatic. She really liked the card her mommy made for her and she liked all her presents too. That conversation brightened my day.

Motherhood is wonderful, even though it can be trying at times. I am so thankful to have the opportunity to experience motherhood with Abby.

1 comment:

mell said...

Please tell Abby "Happy Birthday!" for us!!

Post a Comment