Life Happens

Abby awoke on Thursday morning with a fever of 102.5, flushed cheeks and complaining of a headache. Mike and I immediately thought 'strep throat' because at least one of her classmates had recently been diagnosed.

The test confirmed it on Thursday afternoon. Poor kid. She stayed home all day Thursday and Friday. Mike and I were able to split taking time off from work.

We had planned on taking a weekend trip (with a surprise destination) and Abby was going to stay with my parents. Strep throat nixed that, well, sort of. Abby won't be staying with my folks, but we will be taking the trip. It will just be a family trip instead.

We're all very excited, especially Abby and I...since we have no idea where we are going. She kept asking my this morning at home. I finally convinced her that daddy wouldn't tell me either. It will just have to be a surprise.

To add even more excitement to our morning, Abby shut her thumb in the car door today. I was across from her in the car. She just looked up at me and said, "Mommy, get me out. I'm stuck." It took about 2 seconds to register and I ran to the other side of the car. Luckily, the door wasn't locked. She was very brave. We ran inside, wrapped it in a cold, wet cloth and finally took a look. She scaped the top layer of skin off, but it wasn't bleeding at all. More like a bad scratch and bruise. I was very proud at how well she handled it and very thankful that it wasn't any worse.

1 comment:

mell said...

Poor thing. I remember when I shut my middle fingertip in the car door--I was just about her age. It didn't hurt until my Mom opened the door to free my finger. Then, the throbbing started and all I remember is screaming my head off. I had a black fingernail for a long time.

She really is resilient.

Post a Comment