Back to Basics

I've never been one to have the newest electronic gadgets. For one, they cost too much money when they first come out...and second, you never know if they are really going to survive the test of time. Of course, I do try to stay current and stay as advanced as my minimal budget will allow.

A few years back, I considered going electronic with my calendar. At the time, I couldn't afford a palm pilot, so I settled for something much less expensive. I didn't fully appreciate the phrase, "you get what you pay for," as it applies to fancy electronics. Within a few months, I had learned my lesson and chunked the less than fancy new gadget.

Through the years, I've always relied on my trusty dayplanner from Franklin Covey. When I say 'through the years,' I literally mean that. I've been using them since, well, middle school.

Near the end of every year, I ponder the idea of going electronic. Somehow, I am able to talk myself out of it each year. This year isn't any different, except this year, I think I will actually be going less electronic as I start tracking my budget in my dayplanner as well.

I broke down last year and purchased Quicken (at a very reduced price because of the discounts when buying alongside TurboTax). I'm not sure what I was expecting. I thought it would make my life a little easier when keeping up with finances and my various expenditures. It never seemed to work out that way. The Excel spreadsheet I was using offered the same functionality...Quicken just had an improved interface. Not to mention, I'm a creature of habit, so I always check my bank's website anyway. All in all, I don't think Quicken ended up making anything really quick for me. Instead, it just reinvented the wheel I was already using.

So, it looks like I'll be using my pencil and paper a little more next year, tracking even more in my trusty dayplanner. Who knows, I may even try to use it for work too. On second thought, maybe I'll wait another year for that. I'm wary of mixing business with pleasure.

3 comments:

mell said...

Day planning is considered "pleasure"?

Abby's Mom said...

No, goofball. Business = a meeting for work; pleasure = a friend's birthday, girls night, etc.

mell said...

I was just being sarcastic...I mean "facetious"!

Post a Comment