Ironic Zumba

While talking to a friend at work today, I noticed she had a handful of CDs on her desk that her husband had burned (he DJs on the weekends). I asked to take a look and ended up borrowing a few to listen to. Although I like lots of different kinds of music (no, really, I do...you should see my iPod), I don't have a lot of exposure to much anymore. What can I say? I guess I'm just getting old. Anyway, skimming through the titles, I recognized quite a few, but nowhere near all of them. Kim (the co-worker) asked if I had heard Low (by Flo Rida). I gave her a puzzled look and told her she'd have to sing it to me. Well, she didn't really sing it, but she spouted the first couple of lines. Nope. I don't think I had heard that one. Then, another co-worker pops his head around and calls out, "Low." Obviously, I am completely out of the loop. (But, Mellanie was too, so I didn't feel too bad.)

Later in the day, a group of us were chatting about different workout classes and Zumba was mentioned. I've been to a couple of classes and although it's a good workout, I haven't actually gotten to the point where I feel totally comfortable. I admit it, I'm a white girl and what rhythm I had during the 6 years of band extends from my knees to my toes and from my shoulders to my fingertips (marching band and percussion...that's all you need). Basically, from shoulders to knees - no rhythm. Standing in a room with 25 other people (mostly white girls ages 15-55) with a wall of mirrors dancing to Hips Don't Lie and Hit 'Em Up Style is slightly awkward. It should make me feel better that I seem to get it more than others, but it doesn't.

But, I actually laughed outloud during the class when Low came on. I couldn't believe how ironic it was. We had just talked about it today at work and I had listened to it in the car on the way to the Y.

No comments:

Post a Comment