Politics...the next generation

As I was reading up on the latest political spin tonight, I started wondering, "Will Abby enjoy politics as much as I do?"

One of my fondest memories with my Dad was watching the Presidential election results. It may sound a little cheesy, but it really was fun for me. From an early age, my Dad would take the time to engage me in conversations, ask my opinion and "debate" me on the current issues. Even now, we continue to have debates. I think he's proud of my interest in politics, but it's a double-edged sword for him. On one hand, he failed to pass on his conservative views. That's right, he's a Republican. On the other hand, I think he enjoys knowing that I have formed my own opinions as I have grown up and that I can debate just about anyone. My Mom just wishes both of us would shut up!

On my recent trip to NYC, I discovered that the ice rink at Rockefeller Center is altered to display the US map and as results come in, NBC displays the results on the ice. I would have known this if we ever watched NBC for election results, but I was raised watching Dan Rather, with a channel flip to Peter Jennings on rare occasions. Anyway, I decided then and there that I would definitely be back in NYC in 2012 to see the election results. (I would LOVE to go this year, but I wouldn't want to go by myself...and most of my friends have absolutely no interest in politics and Abby just isn't old enough to appreciate it yet.)

The next question...is she gonna be like her Mom or her Papaw?

No comments:

Post a Comment